Skip to main content

Nation building 101~


I'm expected to "teach" the time span between early civilizations in the New World-- the Aztecs, Mayans, Incas-- to the Civil War. In 180 days. This is mandated by the Massachusetts Department of Education.

So . . . sigh!

The presidential primary elections make the perfect springboard for looking back to understand why we have the form of government we do today. So I jumped ahead in the curriculum a couple hundred years to just after the Revolutionary War when the Constitution was written, the Bill of Rights argued over, the issue of slavery brushed aside to assure ratification, and of course, George Washington's acceptance of the presidency.

Two girls asked to put on a skit, something they'd prepared privately in the big supply closet during recess. Each pretended to be a candidate for president, and took turns reading their campaign promises.

At the end of class, one of my fifth graders stood at my desk, arms loaded with books ready to go to lunch.

"What's up, Josh?" I asked.

"I was thinking, and, well, a candidate could promise to do anything, but that doesn't mean he'd be able to." He paused. "Does it?"

He looked into my eyes, waiting for my reply. I confirmed his thinking, and praised his astuteness. He beamed and left.

We've returned to the 1500's curriculum-wise, but today I shared a "current event." The birth of a new nation: Kosovo.

"It's the newest country," I said. "Just born." I reminded them of our revolutionary beginning, and gave a brief overview of Kosovo's move toward independence: war, the resolutions from the organization in charge, the final declaration, and lastly, that some countries supported the independence and some didn't.

Miles said, "They've just begun and already they have enemies! And allies." He shook his head.

Mike had a different thought. "The kids must not have social studies class," he said.

"Why? What do you mean."?

"Well, they're so new. They have no history," he said.

Ahhh, the perfect segue to remind him of the long history of the Americas-- even before it "belonged" to us.

"Oh, yeah," he said.

I am so going to miss teaching.
~~~~~
"Those who fail to learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them."---George Santayana

Comments

Janice Thomson said…
Children are so straight-forward and untainted by prejudice. I can see why you will miss them tremendously.
Leslie: said…
Yes, it's moments like those that really make you realize what a wonderful profession it is. And I'm really enjoying tutoring a grade 7 student three days a week now. The time just flies by. But go back into the classroom? Never! You'll feel that way one day, too.
Anonymous said…
Great picture. Frozen, waiting for the thaw.

You're a middle school teacher? A fifth grader is in middle school there?

I must be getting older than I thought.

But your post gives me hope for the future.

Barry
raine said…
I hope my kids have a teacher like you someday - without the president stuff :0) On that note, tho' I am always amazed at the long long process of electing a government in the US. I think I will happliy keep our "three week" rule.

I have been so busy I missed you blogaversary. Congrats!! I'm looking forward to another year of wonderful vignettes.
It is easy to teach history but it is difficult to teach history conscientiously and to teach it well. I admire how you try to make history come alive. The independence of Kosovo for example would probably make lesser beings run in fear but challenging the youth to think issues through are the only hope for a better tomorrow.
A nice post, Ruth. I love the idea of Kosovo not having any enemies because they are, after all, a "new" country. You are far more patient than I am.
Unknown said…
Are you SURE you want to retire? ;)
Wonderful post, Ruth, and I LOVE that picture! Wow.
Wanda said…
I would go back to 5th grade if you will be my teacher!!!
How they will miss YOU!!!
Tere said…
I am sure there will be many reminders in the coming months that will cause you to rethink your decision to retire. I can tell by your stories that you are a good teacher. I hope you have been a mentor to others so they can pass it on.
Barbara said…
Kids are so smart!
Bob Sanchez said…
Ruth,
I have a feeling that the Massachusetts school system will be diminished by your retirement. You sound both perceptive and dedicated.

Meanwhile, you are some kind of photographer. The gravestone and flag encased in ice is just beautiful.

Popular posts from this blog

One Winter Day in February!

It’s just a week that I have here, doing "farm duty" for friends while they are in Maui avoiding the February weather. Yay them! And yay me too! This is a week of respite...less than half an hour from home and hubby—and cats. I can enjoy the best of both worlds. My “chores” for the week: ·       Gather the chicken eggs (my favorite part!!) ·       Feed the chickens and ducks and give them fresh water (It bothers me that they have to stay in their coop while family is away. Makes sense, but I feel bad. Otherwise, this would be a favorite). ·       Feed three feral cats (my other favorite thing!) ·       Feed four alpacas and give them water (this is becoming a favorite...) Once done, that leaves plenty of time to...           To WHAT, exactly? What DO you do with the free time you’ve always dreamed of having...besides wasting it wondering what you’ll do with all that free time? On day 1, I a

For Alice~ She's home!!!!!!!

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson Sometimes it's all about knowing that loved ones and friends stand behind you, knowing that support is there on the down days, the worry days, the days when you feel off-center, out of sync, bedraggled emotionally, and in pain, but knowing all the while that you're not alone. You're not alone... Alice is an online friend--she lives in Hawaii-- who belongs to the writer's workshop that I do. We've only "met" online, but those who have online friendships know that they can be just as strong as those in-person relationships. Alice was hit by a car while walking, and is in the rehab phase of things. She's working to regain mobility after a broken pelvis, a broken arm, and a broken nose. It's scary to realize how, in the blink of an eye, life can lurch and our plans for a time are displaced by survival and healing. We&#

San Antonio and Boston~

I'm in Austin. Two days after Christmas we flew to Texas for another of Worcester State's basketball tournaments. Bruce's motto is, "I didn't miss any of David's games in high school-- and he played three sports-- why start now?" My motto is, "I didn't make all of his games in high school-- nor did I try. The least I can do is go to the ones that require traveling to a place I've never been." David spends his days with the team. When they are not playing or practicing, the coaches take the kids out to see the sights. We have plenty of free time to see the sights and to relax, which is what I'm after, basketball aside. Today we headed 80 miles south to San Antonio and sauntered along the River Walk-- the much corralled and exploited, but nicely so, San Antonio River-- in sun and sixty plus temps. We visited the Alamo, and absorbed a bit of Texas's interesting history and culture. Beautiful! Eye candy! Never ashamed to lug a camera