Skip to main content

Marketing love~


Ah, Valentine's Day!

What better way to show love than to rush onto a store on the way home from work to choose from thousands of cards, one that expresses just the right sentiment. Sign it in the car if you can find a pen in the glove compartment, or hide it under your coat until you get in the house where you hastily scrawl your name before presenting it with candy and a kiss.

The parking lot at the local CVS store in Bridgewater was jammed this evening. There was a mob in front of the Valentine cards. The registers had long lines.

We like to think we are independent, nobody tells us how to think. Yet, like Stepford wives-- and husbands-- we heed the Hallmark message and follow the stream of people to the card rack to choose from thousands, the one card that expresses just the right sentiment. We earnestly read the messages of cards mass produced to send the same sentiment to thousands until we find the one that matches the mood of the relationship.

Long married couples have it down. Keep it simple. It's the everyday love that matters most. A peck on the cheek will do if the relationship is solid. If it isn't, anything done on February 14th is like frosting a mud pie.

The newly marrieds and dating couples look upon this day with anticipation. Romantic visions still untarnished by practicality, they set standards they'll lower three children and a second mortgage later.

Singles see it as a day to slog through without succumbing to the poor me, I'm all alone mood.

Valentine's Day is one day out of 365, that grew through the centuries to become the day to buy "stuff" to show how much we care. Tomorrow, and the other 364 days will reveal the truth about our love.

And yes, I bought cards and candy for hubby and kids. It's what we do to show our love.
~~~~~
“Love is the condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.” ~Robert Heinlein

Comments

Unknown said…
Happy belated Valentine's Day! Such pretty roses!

I found out that it's not a good idea to badmouth your spouse. 'cause you never know when he's going to surprise you.

Have a great weekend, Ruth!
Barbara said…
It's rather nice to have a day all about love. It really takes just a small note or card to convey our gratitude for love shared with someone else.
Tere said…
The vision of your CVS experience was so true. And yes, I have been there many times. I loved your line "like frosting a mud pie".
Wanda said…
Talk about old married couples. My husband and I were sitting at home, forgetting it was Valentines Day as we had shared out cards that morning...decided to go to our favorite little cafe for homemade soup and were astonished to see lines of people..we looked at each other and laughed...Oh it's Valentines Day. Went inside and got it to go....had a nice evening at home.

Lots of Love Ruth...so enjoy your post.
Jo said…
Ruth, I actually got a Valentine this year. Shock of shocks!

And a very, very sweet Valentine e-mail too.

I think, in many cases, it's just one more day to make people feel bad, though.
Leslie: said…
Finally a chance to catch up with you. Glad you had a nice Valentine's day...I celebrated "Quirky Singles Day." lol Oh..Happy Blogiversary!!!
Pauline said…
isn't it sad that we've become so accustomed to giving "stuff" when there are so many other ways to say I love you. I don't mind the earmarked day but it's become a business. I would much prefer to declare a love day whenever the mood strikes and then love like there will be no tomorrow
Janice Thomson said…
Valentine's Day is like Christmas - it should be celebrated or thought about every day of the year. Love is not something you give just one day a year....but I guess it's a start to maybe better things. :)
So good to be back and reading your wonderful posts Ruth.
Eileen said…
I did it too. I didn't send any Valentines last year and I think I made my daughter sad . So i was sure to try at least. I used to have fun making them a long time ago. But this year i was one of those people you described. Thank you for coming to my blog and encouraging me. Your blogging of one year is a great role model. It inspires me to keep on trying.

Popular posts from this blog

One Winter Day in February!

It’s just a week that I have here, doing "farm duty" for friends while they are in Maui avoiding the February weather. Yay them! And yay me too! This is a week of respite...less than half an hour from home and hubby—and cats. I can enjoy the best of both worlds. My “chores” for the week: ·       Gather the chicken eggs (my favorite part!!) ·       Feed the chickens and ducks and give them fresh water (It bothers me that they have to stay in their coop while family is away. Makes sense, but I feel bad. Otherwise, this would be a favorite). ·       Feed three feral cats (my other favorite thing!) ·       Feed four alpacas and give them water (this is becoming a favorite...) Once done, that leaves plenty of time to...           To WHAT, exactly? What DO you do with the free time you’ve always dreamed of having...besides wasting it wondering what you’ll do with all that free time? On day 1, I a

For Alice~ She's home!!!!!!!

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson Sometimes it's all about knowing that loved ones and friends stand behind you, knowing that support is there on the down days, the worry days, the days when you feel off-center, out of sync, bedraggled emotionally, and in pain, but knowing all the while that you're not alone. You're not alone... Alice is an online friend--she lives in Hawaii-- who belongs to the writer's workshop that I do. We've only "met" online, but those who have online friendships know that they can be just as strong as those in-person relationships. Alice was hit by a car while walking, and is in the rehab phase of things. She's working to regain mobility after a broken pelvis, a broken arm, and a broken nose. It's scary to realize how, in the blink of an eye, life can lurch and our plans for a time are displaced by survival and healing. We&#

San Antonio and Boston~

I'm in Austin. Two days after Christmas we flew to Texas for another of Worcester State's basketball tournaments. Bruce's motto is, "I didn't miss any of David's games in high school-- and he played three sports-- why start now?" My motto is, "I didn't make all of his games in high school-- nor did I try. The least I can do is go to the ones that require traveling to a place I've never been." David spends his days with the team. When they are not playing or practicing, the coaches take the kids out to see the sights. We have plenty of free time to see the sights and to relax, which is what I'm after, basketball aside. Today we headed 80 miles south to San Antonio and sauntered along the River Walk-- the much corralled and exploited, but nicely so, San Antonio River-- in sun and sixty plus temps. We visited the Alamo, and absorbed a bit of Texas's interesting history and culture. Beautiful! Eye candy! Never ashamed to lug a camera