Skip to main content

A picture perfect day in Back Bay~

A jaundiced eye~
Walking down Boston's Commonwealth Avenue with my camera around my neck, I was in my own world, a place I enjoy. It was school vacation week and I decided to ignore the cold, take advantage of the sunny day to get some pictures of the city.

I'll skip all comments about driving in from my small town. Suffice it to say, Boston is a fast-paced, visually stimulating city, and I drive better on quiet two-lane streets where the visual stimulation is mostly grazing cows.

But I made it.

This section of Boston-- the Back Bay-- one of the finer neighborhoods, is a combination of residences, offices and retailers held together visually by brownstone buildings that open through wrought iron gates onto the sidewalk. It's a well-heeled section of the city where old and new are juxtaposed.

There's no trash, no graffiti, things are decidedly upscale: Boston Common, the State House on Beacon Hill, Trinity Church, MIT . . . the list of historical sites is long. This is the part of the city you'd bring visitors from out of state to.

I wandered like a tourist; no one would have suspected I live a mere twenty-something miles south. I watched squirrels who were playful and friendly as kittens, got asked to pose in a picture for a group who were on a scavenger hunt on the Bridge in the Common-- they needed a Red Sox fan, they said-- and generally watched people. Despite the prevailing view that New Englanders are a cold lot, within the city there are warm and open people just waiting for a chance to exchange a smile and a few words with a stranger.

If you're from out of state, consider this a virtual tour, albeit an eclectic one, just to give you a potpourri look at the Back Bay. Neither words nor photos do a city justice. You really had to be there.
~~~~~
Boston's freeway system is insane. It was clearly designed by a person who had spent his childhood crashing toy trains. ~Bill Bryson

Bridge on the Common~

Who let the dogs out?

Close quarters~

Standing at attention~

Window treatment~

Tree heaven~

In your image~

Make way~

Comments

Leslie: said…
I would love to do a walking tour of Boston. We just bypassed it on our way to Cape Cod in the summer of 1988. But from our vantage point over by the water and seeing the city off to the right of us, it looked beautiful. One day...:D
Anonymous said…
Nice sequence - and does give a sense of the day.
Tim Elhajj said…
Nice shots. I really like the one of the old buildings reflected off the new building's panels. You're getting pretty good at picking the shots.
Janice Thomson said…
Great shots Ruth! Love the one with the reflection of the older building.
Also the capture of what I assume is the business section was overwhelming - such huge buildings and so many windows. The traffic below must be something else again. Thanks for this bit of tour.
Beautiful photos, Ruth.

Thanks for the kind words you left on my blog. :)

Cheers!
Wanda said…
Oh my goodness, I loved this tour. The buildings...the reflections...the dogs ((smile)) and the ducks ((cute)) Thank you for taking us along.
daringtowrite said…
Ah, Boston! Love those photos! Especially the reflections.
thanks for dropping in at the mouse and leaving a few lovely words. I have enjoyed my visit at u&d! the photos from your day wandering boston are great. make way for ducklings!!!!'twas a beautiful day in the neighborhood!

I expect frequent nibbles @ u&d - as a transplanted new englander (well, it was the longest time I lived in any one place)at times I find myself longing a little for the places left behind - your photos are fab and a good booster shot to keep the longing at bay.

thanks for the visit and turning me on to your blog!
Unknown said…
I just love these pictures, Ruth ~ especially the "Make Way for Ducklings"! I'm so glad you got out on a nice day to take photos. I can't wait until you and I hit the city together sometime!
Carter said…
Like some of the others, I was struck hard by the one with the reflection of Trinity Church in the Hancock Tower. You must have been in my favorite outdoor space--Copley Square. It's too cold to enjoy much now, but come back in the summer!

And sometime you need to visit Pleasure Bay, on the South Boston coast of the harbor.

Lovely pictures, all!
Bob Sanchez said…
Like a trip down Memory Lane for an ex-pat like me. Good work, Ruth.

Popular posts from this blog

One Winter Day in February!

It’s just a week that I have here, doing "farm duty" for friends while they are in Maui avoiding the February weather. Yay them! And yay me too! This is a week of respite...less than half an hour from home and hubby—and cats. I can enjoy the best of both worlds. My “chores” for the week: ·       Gather the chicken eggs (my favorite part!!) ·       Feed the chickens and ducks and give them fresh water (It bothers me that they have to stay in their coop while family is away. Makes sense, but I feel bad. Otherwise, this would be a favorite). ·       Feed three feral cats (my other favorite thing!) ·       Feed four alpacas and give them water (this is becoming a favorite...) Once done, that leaves plenty of time to...           To WHAT, exactly? What DO you do with the free time you’ve always dreamed of having...besides wasting it wondering what you’ll do with all that free time? On day 1, I a

For Alice~ She's home!!!!!!!

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson Sometimes it's all about knowing that loved ones and friends stand behind you, knowing that support is there on the down days, the worry days, the days when you feel off-center, out of sync, bedraggled emotionally, and in pain, but knowing all the while that you're not alone. You're not alone... Alice is an online friend--she lives in Hawaii-- who belongs to the writer's workshop that I do. We've only "met" online, but those who have online friendships know that they can be just as strong as those in-person relationships. Alice was hit by a car while walking, and is in the rehab phase of things. She's working to regain mobility after a broken pelvis, a broken arm, and a broken nose. It's scary to realize how, in the blink of an eye, life can lurch and our plans for a time are displaced by survival and healing. We&#

San Antonio and Boston~

I'm in Austin. Two days after Christmas we flew to Texas for another of Worcester State's basketball tournaments. Bruce's motto is, "I didn't miss any of David's games in high school-- and he played three sports-- why start now?" My motto is, "I didn't make all of his games in high school-- nor did I try. The least I can do is go to the ones that require traveling to a place I've never been." David spends his days with the team. When they are not playing or practicing, the coaches take the kids out to see the sights. We have plenty of free time to see the sights and to relax, which is what I'm after, basketball aside. Today we headed 80 miles south to San Antonio and sauntered along the River Walk-- the much corralled and exploited, but nicely so, San Antonio River-- in sun and sixty plus temps. We visited the Alamo, and absorbed a bit of Texas's interesting history and culture. Beautiful! Eye candy! Never ashamed to lug a camera