Skip to main content

Feminism: Burning Bras or Burning Bridges


I liked Helen Reddy, or rather her song, "I am Woman." I liked her haircut too. I belted out her song in the shower. I've roared in my husband's dumbfounded face. But I really always thought I was doing it for my personhood more than my womanhood.

I've never called myself a feminist per se, although I've espoused feminist viewpoints. But, for me, the term conjures an image of the "radical" feminists of the 60's. About the only thing I did in that decade that put me in step with the feminist movement was to go braless-- though I never burned mine-- but I always sort of thought braless-ness pleased men; I never quite understood the reason feminists chose that particular action. Wasn't feminism supposed to be about doing what you wanted regardless of men?

"Jessica Valenti, author of the new book "Full Frontal Feminism," discusses sex positivity, activism and boob flashing as a feminist statement," says Rebecca Traister on Salon.com.

Traister goes on to say Valenti "is trying to win over a population of women she believes might think to themselves, "I'm not a feminist, but it is total bullshit that Wal-Mart won't fill my birth control prescription."

Well, that's me. Or that would be me if I still needed birth control. Logical woman see the discrepancies between what's fair and what's life, and they work toward change. It helps to work in tandem, but at what point does the group "feminist" hue and cry backfire?

While I might have agreed with the viewpoint of the "bra-burners" of my day, I couldn't see beyond the media portrayals of screaming woman, marching and flailing, "demanding equality." It looked like an ugly tantrum, and I was turned off. And women were mocked.

If feminism means respecting women, then call me a feminist, as long as it also means respecting men. If feminism means displaying your strengths with no apology, then I'm all for it, as long as it respects others. If feminism means respecting our gender, count me in, but let's respect men as well.

In my classroom, I refuse to even out groups along gender lines. I refuse to pick first a girl, then a boy, then a girl. I don't believe in, "It a girl's turn now."

My students have challenged me on this. "Hey, Mrs. D. You picked a boy last time, " a girl will protest. Or, "You picked three girls in a row," a disgruntled boy will say.

"I'm picking people," I say. "It doesn't matter if they're a girl or a boy. I'm picking people."

They've stopped whining. I think they're starting to get it. We're all in this together. We all matter. We need to look out for each other, male or female.
~~~~~
From Salon.com~ Here is Valenti's quiz about feminism:

V~"Do you think it's fair that a guy will make more money doing the same job as you?

Me~It's not fair if it is the exact same job in everyway.

V~Does it piss you off and scare you when you find out about your friends getting raped?

Me~I am fortunate in that none of my friends have been raped. Would it "piss me off?" That would not be the emotion I'd have. Would I be scared? No. Pinning rape on the male gender is not fair, any more than saying women ask for it is fair. Would I be "pissed off" if the men were not given an appropriate sentence for rape? Yes. Would I be pissed of if men were blamed for rape they didn't commit ( Duke Lacrosse team)? Yes.

V~Do you ever feel like shit about your body?

Me~Not like"shit" but, yeah, I don't measure up to the "ideal," but I can't blame that on men. It's womens' magazines that are the worst offenders in defining beauty unrealistically to give women unattainable ideas of perfection. It's women who spend big bucks on cosmetics. Don't blame that on men. Blame it on marketing.

V~Do you ever feel like something is wrong with you because you don't fit into this bizarre ideal of what girls are supposed to be like?

Me~No, never. I've never fit the "bizarre ideal" and never wanted to. I like who I am. Mostly.

V~Well, my friend, I hate to break it to you, but you're a hardcore feminist. I swear."

Me~If that's a hardcore feminist . . . how shallow. I still want no part of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Winter Day in February!

It’s just a week that I have here, doing "farm duty" for friends while they are in Maui avoiding the February weather. Yay them! And yay me too! This is a week of respite...less than half an hour from home and hubby—and cats. I can enjoy the best of both worlds. My “chores” for the week: ·       Gather the chicken eggs (my favorite part!!) ·       Feed the chickens and ducks and give them fresh water (It bothers me that they have to stay in their coop while family is away. Makes sense, but I feel bad. Otherwise, this would be a favorite). ·       Feed three feral cats (my other favorite thing!) ·       Feed four alpacas and give them water (this is becoming a favorite...) Once done, that leaves plenty of time to...           To WHAT, exactly? What DO you do with the free time you’ve always dreamed of having...besides wasting it wondering what you’ll do with all that free time? On day 1, I a

For Alice~ She's home!!!!!!!

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson Sometimes it's all about knowing that loved ones and friends stand behind you, knowing that support is there on the down days, the worry days, the days when you feel off-center, out of sync, bedraggled emotionally, and in pain, but knowing all the while that you're not alone. You're not alone... Alice is an online friend--she lives in Hawaii-- who belongs to the writer's workshop that I do. We've only "met" online, but those who have online friendships know that they can be just as strong as those in-person relationships. Alice was hit by a car while walking, and is in the rehab phase of things. She's working to regain mobility after a broken pelvis, a broken arm, and a broken nose. It's scary to realize how, in the blink of an eye, life can lurch and our plans for a time are displaced by survival and healing. We&#

San Antonio and Boston~

I'm in Austin. Two days after Christmas we flew to Texas for another of Worcester State's basketball tournaments. Bruce's motto is, "I didn't miss any of David's games in high school-- and he played three sports-- why start now?" My motto is, "I didn't make all of his games in high school-- nor did I try. The least I can do is go to the ones that require traveling to a place I've never been." David spends his days with the team. When they are not playing or practicing, the coaches take the kids out to see the sights. We have plenty of free time to see the sights and to relax, which is what I'm after, basketball aside. Today we headed 80 miles south to San Antonio and sauntered along the River Walk-- the much corralled and exploited, but nicely so, San Antonio River-- in sun and sixty plus temps. We visited the Alamo, and absorbed a bit of Texas's interesting history and culture. Beautiful! Eye candy! Never ashamed to lug a camera