Skip to main content

When we get older~


Sometimes in the midst of the serious problems in life, I dwell on problems of less significance-- like a saggy chin. (Maybe I should call it a double chin, but right now it is only double if I look down, so saggy will do for --hopefully-- many more years.)

I know it all has to do with the aging process, and gravity. Most of my doctor visits in the past few years have included such comments from doctors and dentists as: "When we get older our (fill in body part) start to (choose from: sag, hurt, fall out, become more abundant). None of which is encouraging. Or attractive.

I had a chin wake-up call the other day. I was in my role as "reporter" for the local paper. I'd been asked to come see the town's Emergency Operations Center by its director, a man who is a retired Drug Enforcement Agent.

He was in his glory in his "bunker" in the basement of the town office building. He wanted to give me the "25-cent tour." I could put a cat to shame with my curiosity; I was ready for the tour.

"Stand beside the TV," he told me, positioning me like I was a manikin.

"Here?" I asked.

He moved me closer to the TV, which was on the local cable station. I stood awkwardly, arms at my side watching while he fiddled with buttons and dials across the room. Beam me up, Scotty?

"Look, look!" he said pointing at the TV screen.

I turned my head and looked. There I was in profile view, saggy chin and all. Saggy chin was all, in my eyes. Instinctively I used my right index finger to gave my chin a lift, like I do in the bathroom mirror every morning.

"In an emergency I can preempt the cable station," he said. "You just went out all across Bridgewater."

"Wow!" I said. Holy shit, I thought. My chin went out across the town. Followed by my finger lift.

But those who watch local cable at noon on a sunny Saturday probably have worse things than a saggy chin. So I recovered quickly and took the rest of the tour: the closed door labeled "Geiger counters," the "command center" that was once used to help the state do something, and the long, narrow concrete shooting range that he told me was where he would hunker down in an extreme emergency to help repopulate the human race. The concubine room, he called it. Ha, ha.

"Lots of room for sleeping bags in there," I laughed. Are you serious? I thought? Then, How do I volunteer? My fertility level drooped with my chin, but I can change diapers. It's all about survival.

I went home and typed up my story while doing those grimace-y facial exercises while I wrote. Ugly, but worth a try.

"When we get older," gravity displays its handiwork.

Comments

Belladonna said…
This one reminded me of when I was writing my piece for the Woman-to-Woman writing challenge on aging. Some of our thoughts intersect, some are different. I like how you express yourself.
Ruth L.~ said…
I'm glad you pointed me to your post. I will reread it more closely, but for now this stood out: I began to bloom in my forties.

I found that true, also. We can still look forward to the great harvest that comes when our bloom fades. ;>)

Popular posts from this blog

One Winter Day in February!

It’s just a week that I have here, doing "farm duty" for friends while they are in Maui avoiding the February weather. Yay them! And yay me too! This is a week of respite...less than half an hour from home and hubby—and cats. I can enjoy the best of both worlds. My “chores” for the week: ·       Gather the chicken eggs (my favorite part!!) ·       Feed the chickens and ducks and give them fresh water (It bothers me that they have to stay in their coop while family is away. Makes sense, but I feel bad. Otherwise, this would be a favorite). ·       Feed three feral cats (my other favorite thing!) ·       Feed four alpacas and give them water (this is becoming a favorite...) Once done, that leaves plenty of time to...           To WHAT, exactly? What DO you do with the free time you’ve always dreamed of having...besides wasting it wondering what you’ll do with all that free time? On day 1, I a

For Alice~ She's home!!!!!!!

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson Sometimes it's all about knowing that loved ones and friends stand behind you, knowing that support is there on the down days, the worry days, the days when you feel off-center, out of sync, bedraggled emotionally, and in pain, but knowing all the while that you're not alone. You're not alone... Alice is an online friend--she lives in Hawaii-- who belongs to the writer's workshop that I do. We've only "met" online, but those who have online friendships know that they can be just as strong as those in-person relationships. Alice was hit by a car while walking, and is in the rehab phase of things. She's working to regain mobility after a broken pelvis, a broken arm, and a broken nose. It's scary to realize how, in the blink of an eye, life can lurch and our plans for a time are displaced by survival and healing. We&#

San Antonio and Boston~

I'm in Austin. Two days after Christmas we flew to Texas for another of Worcester State's basketball tournaments. Bruce's motto is, "I didn't miss any of David's games in high school-- and he played three sports-- why start now?" My motto is, "I didn't make all of his games in high school-- nor did I try. The least I can do is go to the ones that require traveling to a place I've never been." David spends his days with the team. When they are not playing or practicing, the coaches take the kids out to see the sights. We have plenty of free time to see the sights and to relax, which is what I'm after, basketball aside. Today we headed 80 miles south to San Antonio and sauntered along the River Walk-- the much corralled and exploited, but nicely so, San Antonio River-- in sun and sixty plus temps. We visited the Alamo, and absorbed a bit of Texas's interesting history and culture. Beautiful! Eye candy! Never ashamed to lug a camera