Skip to main content

Just another day~


It's just another day. . . for me anyway. A state holiday, the day of the Boston Marathon, the Boston Red Sox played and beat the Angels. The tail end of a nor'easter wags like a puppy dog; the rain has stopped, the power is back on, and there's just a lot of chilly wind.

There's no school, the start of vacation week, no big plans-- grocery shopping, a nap, a little writing, reading, laundry, stuff and roast a chicken. A day like any other.

Then a friend posts a link to the Pulitzer Prize winners on the Internet Writing Workshop, and I click to check it out. I'm short on time, so I jump to the feature photography winner: Renee Byer. I'll start here, and check the others later.

I have no expectations. I click through the black and white photos of mother and son-- I'm a mother of sons-- and am overtaken by the stark honesty, the terrible honesty, sad, bleak, no-hope-at-all honesty in the pictures of the mother whose young son is dying of cancer.

I don't want to see this, but I can't look away, and I view picture after picture through a haze of tears that don't fall. They could, if I let them, but I don't. Maybe I should have. Stuffing them back is hard, and I'm left with a melancholy cloud that hovers. I think of that mother. I feel for that mother.

Later I click on the news while I prepare supper. "The Virginia Tech massacre . . ," I hear. And I sit and stare at the TV, at more pictures, pictures and words, that will wrench the hearts of thirty-three mothers, wrench the hearts of all mothers.

One of those senseless shootings, and thirty-three college students are shot, killed, and the innocence of many others dies as well. My tears are there again. I feel this.

I've seen these things before: death of babies, death of children, death of loved ones, if not mine, somebody's. If not in my country, somebody's. It hurts.

I stand beside my son David waiting for him to fish something out of the refrigerator, so I can put the butter away. He'll be off to college in five months. He's my baby. I want to grab him and hold him in an iron hug. I want to tell him to be careful, that I love him, that I . . . but he knows this. I just stand and wait. He straightens and walks to the table with the milk. As he passes me he pokes me in the ribs.

"Awwgh," I say. I poke him back.

Sometimes a poke is as good as a hug.
~~~~~
Pulitzer Prize Winners

Comments

shaye said…
What a gorgeous kid (man). And what a beautiful picture, you and your boy child. I didn't sleep night before last, thinking of those students, how stunned their parents must be. I don't understand and won't pretend to understand. It's nonsensical. I know why you didn't cry -- you can't get into this kind of thinking, not with David going away in five months. Too much reality to put into some kind of familial context. So much loss. He is going to be fine. He has a savvy mother. But it must be terribly disconcerting...

There's a discussion on another list about the implications of "watch-dogging" student's creative writing as a indicator of future violence. Already they are calling faculty meetings to discuss looking for "danger signs" of potential violence in student's creative writing in some schools here. Teachers and professors are already concerned where this might be headed. There are questions like, "What if some students lose this outlet for expressing themselves, their feelings of frustration and aggression, for fear of being suspect?" What if their writing is the one outlet that is keeping them from expressing their negative feelings in an inappropriate way -- and this too is suddenly snatched away from them and those feelings have nowhere to channel? There are already so many knee-jerk reactions to kids with "problems", and I'm afraid that this is just one more firecracker to throw upon the embers of bias that already exists! That makes me want to cry...

I was just reading about your resolution. I swear, I look at this picture and I'm just don't see someone who needs to lose a bunch of weight! Probably exercise is enough, Ruth! I'm not trying to diet but I did a funny thing. I purchased an Ab Doer. It was so much fun that I just jumped right in there! The next day I discovered that I have muscles where I never knew I had muscles. And God, are they ever sore. I think I will have to start out a little bit slower. Laugh. But it's fun! The best diet I was ever on, this is what I ate: pears pears pears, at least three classes of milk every day (2 percent acidophilus milk), a big baked potato topped with cottage cheese with regular unsalted butter or a Lean Cuisine for dinner usually, salad with any kind of dressing I wanted. I know, it's a very weird diet. Oh, I almost forgot, a bowl of cereal like Total or Special K sometimes instead of pears. And crystal light to drink. Other than my coffee and tea of course...have to have my caffeine. My big indulgence was peanut butter on celery. Celery is a natural diuretic. Seems like this diet was good for 20 pounds. I bet you have had a lot of advise. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

One Winter Day in February!

It’s just a week that I have here, doing "farm duty" for friends while they are in Maui avoiding the February weather. Yay them! And yay me too! This is a week of respite...less than half an hour from home and hubby—and cats. I can enjoy the best of both worlds. My “chores” for the week: ·       Gather the chicken eggs (my favorite part!!) ·       Feed the chickens and ducks and give them fresh water (It bothers me that they have to stay in their coop while family is away. Makes sense, but I feel bad. Otherwise, this would be a favorite). ·       Feed three feral cats (my other favorite thing!) ·       Feed four alpacas and give them water (this is becoming a favorite...) Once done, that leaves plenty of time to...           To WHAT, exactly? What DO you do with the free time you’ve always dreamed of having...besides wasting it wondering what you’ll do with all that free time? On day 1, I a

For Alice~ She's home!!!!!!!

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson Sometimes it's all about knowing that loved ones and friends stand behind you, knowing that support is there on the down days, the worry days, the days when you feel off-center, out of sync, bedraggled emotionally, and in pain, but knowing all the while that you're not alone. You're not alone... Alice is an online friend--she lives in Hawaii-- who belongs to the writer's workshop that I do. We've only "met" online, but those who have online friendships know that they can be just as strong as those in-person relationships. Alice was hit by a car while walking, and is in the rehab phase of things. She's working to regain mobility after a broken pelvis, a broken arm, and a broken nose. It's scary to realize how, in the blink of an eye, life can lurch and our plans for a time are displaced by survival and healing. We&#

San Antonio and Boston~

I'm in Austin. Two days after Christmas we flew to Texas for another of Worcester State's basketball tournaments. Bruce's motto is, "I didn't miss any of David's games in high school-- and he played three sports-- why start now?" My motto is, "I didn't make all of his games in high school-- nor did I try. The least I can do is go to the ones that require traveling to a place I've never been." David spends his days with the team. When they are not playing or practicing, the coaches take the kids out to see the sights. We have plenty of free time to see the sights and to relax, which is what I'm after, basketball aside. Today we headed 80 miles south to San Antonio and sauntered along the River Walk-- the much corralled and exploited, but nicely so, San Antonio River-- in sun and sixty plus temps. We visited the Alamo, and absorbed a bit of Texas's interesting history and culture. Beautiful! Eye candy! Never ashamed to lug a camera