Skip to main content

Going, going, almost gone!

Winter on the way out?

Vote yes!

I always toss my camera in the car, so when I parked in Ikea's parking lot this past January I took a picture simply because I liked how it looked. Reviewing shots today, I thought the picture used its 1000 words to say exactly what I'm feeling.

Good bye winter. Hurry spring.
~~~~~
Springtime is the land awakening.  The March winds are the morning yawn.  ~Quoted by Lewis Grizzard in Kathy Sue Loudermilk, I Love You

 

Comments

Janice Thomson said…
Good eye Ruth - love this! Can't wait to see something green...
Wanda said…
I saw this on fb, Ruth, but when I was checking my follower list I saw you again.... so here I am just agreeing that I'm ready for Spring, and tomorrow I'm changing my bedding back to my Spring Blue and putting the Brown and gold away till next winter.

Love and Hugs dear friend.
Ruth L.~ said…
Such rituals like changing from winter to spring bedding help usher in the season, too. Good idea, Wanda.

Me either, Janice.
Alice Folkart said…
Even here in Hawaii, Ruth, we have no regrets about winter's departure (as long as he pays his hotel bill). I'll know it's spring when the plovers that come every year from Alaska start to leave. That more than blossoming trees, etc., signals the end of winter.
Wonderful photo. Glad you keep your camera with you.

Alice
Anonymous said…
About half an hour ago I was telling my wife that I'm ready for spring season.. getting tired of the cold!!
Lovely photograph
Pauline said…
great photo - our winter decided it took a wrong turn at the exit and is returning with another few inches of snow!

Popular posts from this blog

For Alice~ She's home!!!!!!!

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson Sometimes it's all about knowing that loved ones and friends stand behind you, knowing that support is there on the down days, the worry days, the days when you feel off-center, out of sync, bedraggled emotionally, and in pain, but knowing all the while that you're not alone. You're not alone... Alice is an online friend--she lives in Hawaii-- who belongs to the writer's workshop that I do. We've only "met" online, but those who have online friendships know that they can be just as strong as those in-person relationships. Alice was hit by a car while walking, and is in the rehab phase of things. She's working to regain mobility after a broken pelvis, a broken arm, and a broken nose. It's scary to realize how, in the blink of an eye, life can lurch and our plans for a time are displaced by survival and healing. We...

Countdown! 10, 9, 8 . . .

Retirement is no big deal statistically speaking. Multitudes step out of the working world every year. I remember when my father retired at 63, two years earlier than typical in those days; I remember my mother's retirement party a few years later. But I don't remember either of them obsessing about ending their careers. They just retired--with a big smile and a sigh, I might add-- then went about the rest of their lives. So most likely I'm over thinking my imminent early-retirement at the ripe young age of 57. My husband tells me I think too much, but then for him the reverse is true. In the car he once answered my question, "What are you thinking?" with, "Nothing. I'm driving." Nothing? Is that even possible? He says it is. Friday my good friends gave me a retirement party that they said was so "me." It was perfect. I enjoyed it to the fullest-- laughs, hugs, warm wishes, tears, and so much more-- and breathed a sigh of relief when I got ...

I kid you not~

We're at the part in the social studies book where the thirteen colonies are forming, and Massachusetts Bay Colony, despite being formed by religious dissenters, allows no dissent among its residents. Roger Williams was banished and has headed south to start a colony in present day Rhode Island with Anne Hutchison following on his heels. She has been speaking up as well, in Bible studies for women, later drawing in men. The student book covers 100 years in four pages, so all the juicy details of Anne's "blasphemy" has been left out, but I paused at this part and opened a discussion about the way things were then-- Puritan women were subordinate to their husbands and were not to teach men, among other things. The kids didn't seem indignant, or concerned, or in any way vested in the plight of Anne, or women in general in those days. But they were energized by a conversation about women and men today. Ashley, an earnest student, and smart, raised her hand. It takes a...