Skip to main content

The man I've known longest in my life~


It's Father's Day. Fathers are important. I've learned that even when they're dead and buried, they really aren't gone. Mine isn't anyway.

Happy Father's Day, Dad.

Love,
Ruthie
~~~~~

The call from the nursing home jolted me awake at 3:19 on a snowy Sunday morning. Pearl Harbor Day, December 7, 2003. I knew before answering that my father had died.

“Is this Ruth?” The voice was soft.

“Yes,” I said bracing myself.

“Ruth, your father passed away a few minutes ago.”

This call was not unexpected, but still I froze into silence, listening to the wind and whipping snow outside.

I needed to be led through the process by experts familiar with wrapping a lifetime into a public package for the wake, the funeral, the burial . . .

“What’s the next step?”

“Well, with the storm, the undertaker won’t be able to get here for awhile, so you needn’t rush over.”

But of course there would be no curling back into sleep’s warm cocoon. My husband got up with me, and made coffee. We drank it in the dim kitchen as chilled in body as we were in spirit.

Grey dawn filtered through the curtain of falling snow as I drove twenty miles of back roads to the nursing home to say goodbye to my father’s body. I had already said good-bye to the real man.

It was quiet. The machines at the hospital had not followed him here to die. I hadn’t cried yet, nor did I feel like it. Yet. We were not a physically demonstrative family, though we loved deeply. I stood at the foot of his bed and looked at the man I had known longest in my life.

He lay on his back in the same position I had last seen him- eyes shut, mouth open. sparse grey hair smooth as if it had been combed, a bruise where his IV had been. So skinny, so white. I could see another daughter stroking her father’s hand, but I couldn’t. I could see her smooth his hair, but I stood still.

But I talked to him from my mind. Oh, Dad, I’m so sorry. I’m so sorry. I love you Dad. We’ll miss you. Don’t worry about Mom. We’ll take care of her. Bye Dad. I kissed him lightly on his cool forehead.
~~~~~
I wanted to speak at his simple Congregational funeral. I knew it would be hard, so I wrote a short good-bye that the minister ended up reading for me while I sat muffling sobs, catching the tears that weren't to be denied in a shredded Klennix. I held my mother's hand; my husband held my other. I felt the hands of my children who were seated in the pew behind me patting my shoulders, giving little squeezes of support.

My father used to hold my hand when I was little. We'd walk along, father and daughter, and he'd give my hand a squeeze and I'd match it with a squeeze of my own. Then he'd squeeze twice and I'd match it with two of mine.

A father's love is not forgotten.

Comments

Dawn said…
Hi Ruth,
Sorry for your loss, and so happy for you that you had this lovely man in your life. We never have enough time with them, do we?

{{hugs}}
Dawn
http://wordsogold.blogspot.com/
Jo said…
Love doesn't die. Especially the love between a father and daughter. It lives on long past the grave.

Josie
Leslie: said…
Hi Ruth, thanks for popping in at my blog. Yes, schools DO put on a great feast, don't they? I didn't hear back re that other job, but I have an interview next Monday at a school that teaches gifted children. So I've downloaded a bunch of info on giftedness and will be studying until then. Also, have my application in as a TOC (subsitute) in the district and another independent school not too far from where I live (20 minutes). So hopefully, something will come up. The good thing about subbing is I can call the shots as to when/if I work.

Popular posts from this blog

One Winter Day in February!

It’s just a week that I have here, doing "farm duty" for friends while they are in Maui avoiding the February weather. Yay them! And yay me too! This is a week of respite...less than half an hour from home and hubby—and cats. I can enjoy the best of both worlds. My “chores” for the week: ·       Gather the chicken eggs (my favorite part!!) ·       Feed the chickens and ducks and give them fresh water (It bothers me that they have to stay in their coop while family is away. Makes sense, but I feel bad. Otherwise, this would be a favorite). ·       Feed three feral cats (my other favorite thing!) ·       Feed four alpacas and give them water (this is becoming a favorite...) Once done, that leaves plenty of time to...           To WHAT, exactly? What DO you do with the free time you’ve always dreamed of having...besides wasting it wondering what you’ll do with all that free time? On day 1, I a

Lesson from a Weed~

If dandelions could talk, here’s what I think they might say:  " Bloom where you’re planted, sink your roots deep. Smile in the sun, soak up the rain, and let the wind take you to new places." Dandelions are an early spring food for bees. They are often the first flower a young child picks for his mother and they provide a sweet moment for a mother to teach her child to make a wish and blow away the seeds. They speckle landscapes with lemon-colored glory. Common, and often disliked by those in favor of perfect lawns, we trample over them with hardly a thought. All this crossed my mind as I stood in this field of dandelions, most having gone to seed. I had an hour to myself at a retreat at a beautiful family farm on this day of unexpected sunshine and warmth. I was looking for a moment of stillness.   I’d watched two swans,   visited the alpacas,   chatted with the chickens, tried to coax a kitty closer...

San Antonio and Boston~

I'm in Austin. Two days after Christmas we flew to Texas for another of Worcester State's basketball tournaments. Bruce's motto is, "I didn't miss any of David's games in high school-- and he played three sports-- why start now?" My motto is, "I didn't make all of his games in high school-- nor did I try. The least I can do is go to the ones that require traveling to a place I've never been." David spends his days with the team. When they are not playing or practicing, the coaches take the kids out to see the sights. We have plenty of free time to see the sights and to relax, which is what I'm after, basketball aside. Today we headed 80 miles south to San Antonio and sauntered along the River Walk-- the much corralled and exploited, but nicely so, San Antonio River-- in sun and sixty plus temps. We visited the Alamo, and absorbed a bit of Texas's interesting history and culture. Beautiful! Eye candy! Never ashamed to lug a camera