Skip to main content

A Continuum: the sands of time...


Time is like a handful of sand, the tighter you grasp it, the faster it runs through your fingers.

Anonymous




My 20’s: That runner’s high! I love it! I feel like my feet are six inches above the pavement and I could just keep running and running forever. I stretch my runs longer and longer for pure pleasure until I just have to turn back--reluctantly. I’m empowered and kind of in awe of my energy.







My 30s: My pregnancy decade. Three kids. I jog behind a stroller with the firstborn; walk with a toddler while pushing a stroller with the second born; walk slowly with my third, stopping so he can drop pebbles down the drain or pat the doggie.

 I go on occasional walks or slow jogs on weekends or days when my husband is home with all three kids. But I often choose to nap.





My 40s: My oldest babysits for thirty minutes so I can go out for a walk. I call it my “by-by walk.” “Mommy’s going for a by-by walk,” I say to soothe my youngest, who cries when I leave, until he catches on that I’m not gone long. 

 He waves by-by out the window as I "power walk" down the side walk on my prescribed route. I return home feeling like I’ve done my duty on behalf of fitness. But where's the joy?

And soon my youngest is running.



My 50s: My husband has always been a jogger. We jog a four-mile route around the neighborhood streets. I’m proud I can keep up with him, mostly, and if not, he paces himself for me. I set him free the last half mile or so. He’s in the house when I jog into the driveway. I take to walking on the treadmill at the Y. 








My 60s: I begin this decade on a new fitness binge. I’ve gained weight and become more sedentary, which I hate. I join a group at the Y to get in shape and lose weight. I love the challenge. I can keep up with women decades younger than me. I’m energized by the friendly competition, and sign up for a second session, and then a third. I run hills and sprints. Wow! Feeling good!





Then my husband gets cancer! I crumble emotionally. I sleep late. I don’t feel like exercising. All the weight I’ve lost comes back, and more. I worry. For him. For me. For us both.

Then my ankle goes wonky--a tendon tear, bad mechanics—and I’m suddenly wearing an ankle orthotic. I’ll need it for life my doctor says. I feel unplugged.



I won’t jog again; I maybe could, but really. Why? But I can still walk. I find peace in the slower pace, peace in accepting the physical restrictions of aging.




It’s freeing.
Bittersweet, but freeing.





There is no need to compete with others or myself. Or count my steps. Or go fast..if I don’t want to. 

I bring my camera along as I walk and the sun points out photos for me to shoot. I meditate. I pray. I write stories in my head. I solve problems. Solutions unfold with each footfall...as does peace.





My 70’s--coming soon: I don’t know what the next decade will bring. But if I’m fortunate, there will still be walks...on the beach, down country lanes, in the woods. Alone or with friends who want to chat. With my camera or not. Walks that heal the soul and clear the mind.










And, yes, I still run in my mind, at times...and wish I could break into that remembered runner’s high. One does not forget the wings of youth. 

The key is finding joy and contentment on the continuum of life. This I discover as I walk in the frosty breeze on a sunny winter’s day.







Comments

Kendrick Brown said…
Great share thanks for posting

Popular posts from this blog

One Winter Day in February!

It’s just a week that I have here, doing "farm duty" for friends while they are in Maui avoiding the February weather. Yay them! And yay me too! This is a week of respite...less than half an hour from home and hubby—and cats. I can enjoy the best of both worlds. My “chores” for the week: ·       Gather the chicken eggs (my favorite part!!) ·       Feed the chickens and ducks and give them fresh water (It bothers me that they have to stay in their coop while family is away. Makes sense, but I feel bad. Otherwise, this would be a favorite). ·       Feed three feral cats (my other favorite thing!) ·       Feed four alpacas and give them water (this is becoming a favorite...) Once done, that leaves plenty of time to...           To WHAT, exactly? What DO you do with the free time you’ve always dreamed of having...besides wasting it wondering what you’ll do with all that free time? On day 1, I a

For Alice~ She's home!!!!!!!

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson Sometimes it's all about knowing that loved ones and friends stand behind you, knowing that support is there on the down days, the worry days, the days when you feel off-center, out of sync, bedraggled emotionally, and in pain, but knowing all the while that you're not alone. You're not alone... Alice is an online friend--she lives in Hawaii-- who belongs to the writer's workshop that I do. We've only "met" online, but those who have online friendships know that they can be just as strong as those in-person relationships. Alice was hit by a car while walking, and is in the rehab phase of things. She's working to regain mobility after a broken pelvis, a broken arm, and a broken nose. It's scary to realize how, in the blink of an eye, life can lurch and our plans for a time are displaced by survival and healing. We&#

San Antonio and Boston~

I'm in Austin. Two days after Christmas we flew to Texas for another of Worcester State's basketball tournaments. Bruce's motto is, "I didn't miss any of David's games in high school-- and he played three sports-- why start now?" My motto is, "I didn't make all of his games in high school-- nor did I try. The least I can do is go to the ones that require traveling to a place I've never been." David spends his days with the team. When they are not playing or practicing, the coaches take the kids out to see the sights. We have plenty of free time to see the sights and to relax, which is what I'm after, basketball aside. Today we headed 80 miles south to San Antonio and sauntered along the River Walk-- the much corralled and exploited, but nicely so, San Antonio River-- in sun and sixty plus temps. We visited the Alamo, and absorbed a bit of Texas's interesting history and culture. Beautiful! Eye candy! Never ashamed to lug a camera