Skip to main content

When the sun gets serious~


 I wander through the winter weary yard,
a collage of brown,
crisp and dry,
asleep 

but for the tender tulip tips
blushing pink,
but not shy.

They know the power they contain,
the joy they'll bring when the sun gets serious.

Comments

Unknown said…
Oh Ruth ~ this post is so full of joy and sunshine, I could just burst! Thanks for sharing such beauty!
Ross Eldridge said…
Hallo there, Ruth ...

No tulips here yet outdoors, but there are some in pots that have been "forced" to bloom.

It's snowdrops and crocuses. The daffodil shoots are well up, but no flower buds yet. A few weeks from now we'll have hosts of them, as some old poet put it. My hydrangea plants have leaves starting, the first stirring in my plant-pots

Not just the flowers, we have birds back from their winter in Africa. The larger birds now, too early for the songbirds, swallows etc. I love the smallish black-headed gulls, but they've not arrived yet.

Frost this morning, but warmish sunshine burned it away by mid-morning.

And it was daylight at 6am, more light every day.

We have come through!

Ross
Pauline said…
oh, gorgeous! Tulips fairly shout spring, don't they?
Tere said…
"When the sun gets serious" . . . beautiful and I am so ready for that.
Michelle said…
I like that "when the sun gets serious"! Deos that mean all the snow has melted?
Wanda said…
You have captured a wonderful line.

"When the sun gets serious"

Love it!

Wonderful colors too.

Popular posts from this blog

For Alice~ She's home!!!!!!!

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson Sometimes it's all about knowing that loved ones and friends stand behind you, knowing that support is there on the down days, the worry days, the days when you feel off-center, out of sync, bedraggled emotionally, and in pain, but knowing all the while that you're not alone. You're not alone... Alice is an online friend--she lives in Hawaii-- who belongs to the writer's workshop that I do. We've only "met" online, but those who have online friendships know that they can be just as strong as those in-person relationships. Alice was hit by a car while walking, and is in the rehab phase of things. She's working to regain mobility after a broken pelvis, a broken arm, and a broken nose. It's scary to realize how, in the blink of an eye, life can lurch and our plans for a time are displaced by survival and healing. We...

Countdown! 10, 9, 8 . . .

Retirement is no big deal statistically speaking. Multitudes step out of the working world every year. I remember when my father retired at 63, two years earlier than typical in those days; I remember my mother's retirement party a few years later. But I don't remember either of them obsessing about ending their careers. They just retired--with a big smile and a sigh, I might add-- then went about the rest of their lives. So most likely I'm over thinking my imminent early-retirement at the ripe young age of 57. My husband tells me I think too much, but then for him the reverse is true. In the car he once answered my question, "What are you thinking?" with, "Nothing. I'm driving." Nothing? Is that even possible? He says it is. Friday my good friends gave me a retirement party that they said was so "me." It was perfect. I enjoyed it to the fullest-- laughs, hugs, warm wishes, tears, and so much more-- and breathed a sigh of relief when I got ...

I kid you not~

We're at the part in the social studies book where the thirteen colonies are forming, and Massachusetts Bay Colony, despite being formed by religious dissenters, allows no dissent among its residents. Roger Williams was banished and has headed south to start a colony in present day Rhode Island with Anne Hutchison following on his heels. She has been speaking up as well, in Bible studies for women, later drawing in men. The student book covers 100 years in four pages, so all the juicy details of Anne's "blasphemy" has been left out, but I paused at this part and opened a discussion about the way things were then-- Puritan women were subordinate to their husbands and were not to teach men, among other things. The kids didn't seem indignant, or concerned, or in any way vested in the plight of Anne, or women in general in those days. But they were energized by a conversation about women and men today. Ashley, an earnest student, and smart, raised her hand. It takes a...