Skip to main content

Marriage~


It is tough being perfect, my husband tells me.

He says this in response to my remark. "My God, it must be absolutely wonderful to be so perfect!"

I know. My comment smacks of sarcasm. I don't deny that. I spat it out in the car on the way home from dining out at a local restaurant we often go to on Friday or Saturday night.

It all started well. We were chatting, conversing about all sorts of things: local gossip, local politics, the state budget, what the name of the man at the bar was-- on this we could not agree-- the family sitting behind us, those kind of married topics, safe and un-erotic, as married conversations often are.

The thing is, we were not bickering. This was a good thing. We've been in a bickering mode lately, and it followed a pattern: I would make an innocent remark. He would react, badly. I would softly explain that I was innocent of whatever crime he thought I committed. He would get loud and angry. Back and forth we'd go. I'd try to explain; he'd shut me down. I would laugh and make jokes. He would get really pissed. I would get sarcastic, in a sweet, innocent way, I thought.

This time my crime was that I never remembered anything he told me.

We were talking about a meeting he'd been to. He's the treasurer. At the last meeting, he was telling me, the only board members that showed up were him, and Lisa the president.

My comment: "You're kidding! Only the two of you? That's pathetic."

His bad reaction, "I told you that at the time. You never listen to a thing I say!"

Okay. That is true at times, I admit. My soft explanation, "Well, I don't remember. But if I was sitting at my computer . . ."

His loud angry reaction: "What the heck difference does it make where you were sitting? I told you. You don't listen. You never remember anything I say."

"But when I'm typing, I . . ."

"Don't say another word! It doesn't matter where you were."

"It does matter. I'm trying to say that when I'm . . ."

To make a long story short, he couldn't remember where I was when he told me about the meeting, and he couldn't accept the fact that I might have been distracted by typing, and needed a transition time to tune in to what he was saying. And I refused to be shut down.

"If you can't remember where you were, maybe you *didn't* tell me," I challenged lightly. This was becoming ridiculous and I recognized that. I made comments lightly, kiddingly. Ha ha, are you serious?

Yes. He was serious. He told me I never listen.

Sometimes I tell you things, and you don't remember, either, I remind him.

No. He'd remember if I told him. I only think I told him.

This is where I became sarcastic and told him how nice it must be to be perfect.

"It can be tough," he said.

I sat silent, thinking my own thoughts for the rest of the ride home. Thoughts of how much more perfect I was than he was. I at least admitted when I was *not* perfect. And I at least, saw how foolish this conversation was. I remained detached, laughing inside, not angered, damn it! While he was an absolute fucking jerk!

We pulled into the driveway, and he said, "The black family two houses down have moved." He spoke as if we'd just been having a picnic in the park on a sunny day.

" Oh," I said. "I never knew there was a black family there." I was calm, smooth. Normal sounding.

"They've been there for a year and a half." He walked ahead of me to unlock the house. He was silent, no doubt mentally shaking his head at my "lack of awareness" as he sometimes called it.

In case he was, I mentally gave him the finger as I walked through the door he held open for me. He turned on the TV; I booted up my laptop.

Comments

Sandy said…
Whose marriage are you writing about? This sounds like mine!!I was even mentally justifying my own reactions to similar experiences...ie working at the computer/not listening /or remembering.
I love your writing ...it is so familiar and shows how similar are most womens life experiences.

Popular posts from this blog

For Alice~ She's home!!!!!!!

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson Sometimes it's all about knowing that loved ones and friends stand behind you, knowing that support is there on the down days, the worry days, the days when you feel off-center, out of sync, bedraggled emotionally, and in pain, but knowing all the while that you're not alone. You're not alone... Alice is an online friend--she lives in Hawaii-- who belongs to the writer's workshop that I do. We've only "met" online, but those who have online friendships know that they can be just as strong as those in-person relationships. Alice was hit by a car while walking, and is in the rehab phase of things. She's working to regain mobility after a broken pelvis, a broken arm, and a broken nose. It's scary to realize how, in the blink of an eye, life can lurch and our plans for a time are displaced by survival and healing. We...

Countdown! 10, 9, 8 . . .

Retirement is no big deal statistically speaking. Multitudes step out of the working world every year. I remember when my father retired at 63, two years earlier than typical in those days; I remember my mother's retirement party a few years later. But I don't remember either of them obsessing about ending their careers. They just retired--with a big smile and a sigh, I might add-- then went about the rest of their lives. So most likely I'm over thinking my imminent early-retirement at the ripe young age of 57. My husband tells me I think too much, but then for him the reverse is true. In the car he once answered my question, "What are you thinking?" with, "Nothing. I'm driving." Nothing? Is that even possible? He says it is. Friday my good friends gave me a retirement party that they said was so "me." It was perfect. I enjoyed it to the fullest-- laughs, hugs, warm wishes, tears, and so much more-- and breathed a sigh of relief when I got ...

I kid you not~

We're at the part in the social studies book where the thirteen colonies are forming, and Massachusetts Bay Colony, despite being formed by religious dissenters, allows no dissent among its residents. Roger Williams was banished and has headed south to start a colony in present day Rhode Island with Anne Hutchison following on his heels. She has been speaking up as well, in Bible studies for women, later drawing in men. The student book covers 100 years in four pages, so all the juicy details of Anne's "blasphemy" has been left out, but I paused at this part and opened a discussion about the way things were then-- Puritan women were subordinate to their husbands and were not to teach men, among other things. The kids didn't seem indignant, or concerned, or in any way vested in the plight of Anne, or women in general in those days. But they were energized by a conversation about women and men today. Ashley, an earnest student, and smart, raised her hand. It takes a...