Skip to main content

If a tree falls . . .


She's my mother, but since she's moved to River Court assisted living two years ago, she doesn't look like the mother I remember. She's gained weight, probably too much, but after the lean days when my father died and she stopped eating regularly, she looks pleasingly plump. Just not familiar.

She still remembers me. She knows my voice on the phone-- usually-- but I've taken to identifying myself just in case. "Hi, Mom. It's me. Ruthie." She knows me when I walk into her room, but if I passed her on the street, unexpectedly out of context, would she?

Her short-term memory is shot. She knows this, admits it with a rueful shake of her head, a slight chuckle. "I let others do the talking," she says. "I can't get in trouble that way."

It makes for a tough hour on my part when I visit. Keeping a conversation going is my forte, but I do need a return volley now and then. She responds and waits for my next comment.

I write cards for her. I take them home to stamp and mail. I ask her what she wants me to write.

"Oh, that I miss them. I'd love to see them," she says. "Tell them I'm fine. I'm happy. I'm content." She absently strokes Susie, her cat and constant companion. She's looking off into the distance. She can't get into trouble with these comments.

If you don't remember what you had for lunch an hour ago did you enjoy it? If you don't remember that you play bingo every afternoon, did you have fun? She has a new stash of stuffed animals that share the couch with Susie and her. I think they're her bingo winnings, but she doesn't know where they came from.

I leave when an aide pops the door open and says, "Bingo's starting! You don't want to miss it. There are some good prizes."

"You go, Mom," I say. "I'll just use the bathroom and make sure I shut the door when I leave." I don't mention that I'm sure I'll catch up to her even with her head start.

"I'm in no hurry," she says. "We'll walk down together." And we do. I can't walk slowly enough. I repeatedly move ahead, stop, turn, and wait as she pushes her walker slowly. If she exercised, I know she wouldn't need it, but she depends on it now.

I hug and kiss her good-bye, watch her get settled at the gaming table, then wave and leave.

If you don't remember your daughter came to visit . . .

She won't. This I know from experience. But I wrote "Ruthie came" on her calendar, when she asked me to. Its the way she "remembers" things.

"Put a smiley face, too," she'd said. So I did. A big one like I put on my student's papers when I want them to know they matter to me.
~~~~~
"Esse est percipi" ("To be is to be perceived")~George Berkeley

Comments

Oh, Ruthie. You gotta send this one out for publication. It's that good! The last line is just perfect. I have no idea if you cried when you wrote it, but it had to have come hard. Beautiful, really beautiful.
Tere said…
This is so beautiful The heartbreak of watching our parents become old is unbearable. But you visit even though it hurts. You are a good daughter.
Ruth L.~ said…
Sarah~ I got emotional, yes, choked up. Those who've been through it understand the feelings. Thanks.

Tere~ I love my mother, and she'd say I'm a good daughter. But I could be so much better. Guilt!
Wanda said…
Tears are running down my cheeks. I think of your mother, and my Aunt Cassie. Women who in there younger days would have dazzled anyone. You have given us a most beautiful and honest post. I loved and hung on every word. I wonder, will I some day be in that position, will I recognize my daughters...Oh Ruth. Thank you for sharing something so personal, I will treasure it in my heart.
Barbara said…
It's stories like this that remind me of Bette Davis's saying "Growing old is not for sissies." I hope these days are well into my future...
Unknown said…
Wow, this post brought tears to my eyes, too. I'm sure your visits to your dear Mom make a difference, even if she doesn't remember.
Anonymous said…
Hi Ruth:

This is quite lovely, and I agree with Sarah that it should be "out there".

My mother died so young that her memory was very much intact, and my long-lived grandmother (104) was sharp as a tack. But two dear family friends are "hardly there" now ... though it sure is nice when they DO remember me after a bit of prompting. Rich, handsome, talented and brilliant Ross ... surely you recall me well? No, dear.

As Wanda says ... will WE remember? And it makes sense that we NOW, while we can, make arrangements in case a day comes when the world does begin to fade. Not all of us have daughters as dutiful and caring as Ruth ...

Bless you for writing this!
raine said…
Thank you for this..I'm weepy now...but in a good way.
Jo said…
Aw, Ruth, I got a lump in my throat reading that. But you know, you are so lucky. I lost my mom when I was only 39. I still miss her. I'm sure you cherish every moment with your mom, even if she doesn't always remember. She looks very sweet.

Popular posts from this blog

One Winter Day in February!

It’s just a week that I have here, doing "farm duty" for friends while they are in Maui avoiding the February weather. Yay them! And yay me too! This is a week of respite...less than half an hour from home and hubby—and cats. I can enjoy the best of both worlds. My “chores” for the week: ·       Gather the chicken eggs (my favorite part!!) ·       Feed the chickens and ducks and give them fresh water (It bothers me that they have to stay in their coop while family is away. Makes sense, but I feel bad. Otherwise, this would be a favorite). ·       Feed three feral cats (my other favorite thing!) ·       Feed four alpacas and give them water (this is becoming a favorite...) Once done, that leaves plenty of time to...           To WHAT, exactly? What DO you do with the free time you’ve always dreamed of having...besides wasting it wondering what you’ll do with all that free time? On day 1, I a

Lesson from a Weed~

If dandelions could talk, here’s what I think they might say:  " Bloom where you’re planted, sink your roots deep. Smile in the sun, soak up the rain, and let the wind take you to new places." Dandelions are an early spring food for bees. They are often the first flower a young child picks for his mother and they provide a sweet moment for a mother to teach her child to make a wish and blow away the seeds. They speckle landscapes with lemon-colored glory. Common, and often disliked by those in favor of perfect lawns, we trample over them with hardly a thought. All this crossed my mind as I stood in this field of dandelions, most having gone to seed. I had an hour to myself at a retreat at a beautiful family farm on this day of unexpected sunshine and warmth. I was looking for a moment of stillness.   I’d watched two swans,   visited the alpacas,   chatted with the chickens, tried to coax a kitty closer...

San Antonio and Boston~

I'm in Austin. Two days after Christmas we flew to Texas for another of Worcester State's basketball tournaments. Bruce's motto is, "I didn't miss any of David's games in high school-- and he played three sports-- why start now?" My motto is, "I didn't make all of his games in high school-- nor did I try. The least I can do is go to the ones that require traveling to a place I've never been." David spends his days with the team. When they are not playing or practicing, the coaches take the kids out to see the sights. We have plenty of free time to see the sights and to relax, which is what I'm after, basketball aside. Today we headed 80 miles south to San Antonio and sauntered along the River Walk-- the much corralled and exploited, but nicely so, San Antonio River-- in sun and sixty plus temps. We visited the Alamo, and absorbed a bit of Texas's interesting history and culture. Beautiful! Eye candy! Never ashamed to lug a camera