Skip to main content

One Veteran's story~


My husband was twenty-four in the spring of 1967 when the Army drafted him during the Vietnam years.

Finished with grad school, he was teaching in Connecticut, and had plans to marry in three months. Not to me; I was a sophomore in high school then.

Deciding that he'd rather be the one giving the orders than taking them, he enlisted in the Marines and made plans to go to Officer Candidate School.

He told his fiancée what he'd done, and gave her the option of postponing the wedding, knowing he could be killed or maimed. They married as planned. Their son was born at Camp Le Jeune when his tour in Nam was complete.

The thirteen months he spent in the jungles are not something he's said much about. I've seen his medals. I've seen a Vietnam flag he pulled from somewhere. I've read letters from superiors praising the job he did.

But I know little. It was hot. He made sure his men were taken care of. He made decisions for the greater good. He gave orders that impacted lives. He saw his men get killed. He wrote letters to parents back home.

The rest he's buried deep inside somewhere. I don't know if he thinks of it much, but he winces at the whir of helicopters overhead, recoils sharply at the sound of gunfire and is moved to tears watching war movies.

"Did any of your men commit the atrocities we heard so much of," I asked once, naively and perhaps in retrospect, thoughtlessly.

"No." he says simply.

"How do you know?"

"Because I was with them," he tells me, the implication clear.

He didn't ask to fight in that war, but when he was drafted he gave more than was asked by enlisting and becoming an officer, pretty much insuring that he'd be in the thick of things. And he was.

As a veteran, what does he want? Absolutely nothing . . . except maybe acknowledgment that he did what he was trained to do to the best of his ability. He followed orders, and in turn gave them. He served his country as required.

He was spit on in San Francisco Air Port when he returned from Vietnam.

He cried at the memorial in Washington, DC.

It was war, and what was it good for? Absolutely nothing!
~~~~~
Memorial Day Tears

~~~~~
When the soldiers came home from Vietnam, there were no parades, no celebrations. So they built the Vietnam Memorial for themselves. ~William Westmoreland

Comments

Voyager said…
I am so heartened by the fact that our society has evolved somewhat, in that we now don't take our distain for war out on the soldiers who serve. The way Vietnam vets were treated when they came home is shocking. Give your brave and honourable husband a hug.
V.
Wanda said…
By brother in law and several others I know faced that kind of treatment...It's so wrong...and I share your tears. Thank you for telling it like it is.
I join with voyager...please give your wonderful husband a hug from me too.
Jo said…
I remember that bloody war, (and I mean bloody in every sense) and I remember how badly those young fellows were treated when they came back to North America. I had a very good friend who was shot, and the bullet went through him and through his best friend's head. When my friend got back to North America he immediately headed for Canada. He couldn't stand to live in his own country anymore. What a terrible war that was. And now young men are being sent to Iraq in the same type of futile war.

Your husband is a hero.
Unknown said…
Ditto to what voyager said above. I am so grateful for the service of all of our brave veterans.
Carter said…
I sympathize mightily with your husband. I hated the way veterans were treated at the time. To oppose the war was one thing; to mistreat veterans was unconscionable.

The Iraq veterans are being treated better by ordinary Americans, thank goodness, but not by the government, which gives them lousy medical care, lousy benefits, and virtually no college help. That's something we could protest about for sure.

It's not so clear, however, that the Vietnam war was worthless. A case can be made that it helped hasten the fall of the USSR, which was a threat to the US. It's a tough call, but the answer is not simple. I opposed the war at the time, but may have been wrong. That the high command was dishonest and stupid is not, however, at issue.

But that the Iraq adventure was illegal, immoral, stupid, and disastrous from the start is not in doubt. Why aren't we in the streets protesting?
Anonymous said…
semper fi!
Janice Thomson said…
One of the blackest marks in American history is how the Nam war veterans were treated. I can't help but agree with Carter and wonder why aren't people protesting? Have we become so insensitive that life has no meaning anymore? Are our sons/daughters and husbands really that dispensable?
Your husband has the utmost respect from me and I thank him from the bottom of my heart.
Ruth L.~ said…
Thank you all . . . Bruce read this, declined to reply, but I know it meant a lot to him to feel the support. Yes, we have learned a lot between then and now.

Popular posts from this blog

One Winter Day in February!

It’s just a week that I have here, doing "farm duty" for friends while they are in Maui avoiding the February weather. Yay them! And yay me too! This is a week of respite...less than half an hour from home and hubby—and cats. I can enjoy the best of both worlds. My “chores” for the week: ·       Gather the chicken eggs (my favorite part!!) ·       Feed the chickens and ducks and give them fresh water (It bothers me that they have to stay in their coop while family is away. Makes sense, but I feel bad. Otherwise, this would be a favorite). ·       Feed three feral cats (my other favorite thing!) ·       Feed four alpacas and give them water (this is becoming a favorite...) Once done, that leaves plenty of time to...           To WHAT, exactly? What DO you do with the free time you’ve always dreamed of having...besides wasting it wondering what you’ll do with all that free time? On day 1, I a

For Alice~ She's home!!!!!!!

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson Sometimes it's all about knowing that loved ones and friends stand behind you, knowing that support is there on the down days, the worry days, the days when you feel off-center, out of sync, bedraggled emotionally, and in pain, but knowing all the while that you're not alone. You're not alone... Alice is an online friend--she lives in Hawaii-- who belongs to the writer's workshop that I do. We've only "met" online, but those who have online friendships know that they can be just as strong as those in-person relationships. Alice was hit by a car while walking, and is in the rehab phase of things. She's working to regain mobility after a broken pelvis, a broken arm, and a broken nose. It's scary to realize how, in the blink of an eye, life can lurch and our plans for a time are displaced by survival and healing. We&#

San Antonio and Boston~

I'm in Austin. Two days after Christmas we flew to Texas for another of Worcester State's basketball tournaments. Bruce's motto is, "I didn't miss any of David's games in high school-- and he played three sports-- why start now?" My motto is, "I didn't make all of his games in high school-- nor did I try. The least I can do is go to the ones that require traveling to a place I've never been." David spends his days with the team. When they are not playing or practicing, the coaches take the kids out to see the sights. We have plenty of free time to see the sights and to relax, which is what I'm after, basketball aside. Today we headed 80 miles south to San Antonio and sauntered along the River Walk-- the much corralled and exploited, but nicely so, San Antonio River-- in sun and sixty plus temps. We visited the Alamo, and absorbed a bit of Texas's interesting history and culture. Beautiful! Eye candy! Never ashamed to lug a camera