Skip to main content

Mothers and butterflies...



When I visited my 92-year-old mother at her assisted living home, I thought of butterflies—the painted ladies I’d seen sipping the last sweet nectar from the buddleia in my back yard.

Painted ladies don’t live long, and my 92-year-old mother certainly has. So that’s not the comparison. And she certainly wasn’t sipping anything when I walked into her room; she was sleeping in front of a blaring TV. And neither was she painted. She’s never been much for make-up.

But nonetheless, painted lady butterflies that popped into my mind as I watched her sleeping.

“Mom?” I said softly.

She startled and I could see in an instant that she didn’t have a clue who I was.

So I told her.  “It’s Ruthie,” I said.

That’s always been enough for her face to blossom into a smile of recognition.

“Ruthie!” she always exclaims with pleasure.

But this time her smile wasn’t convincing--she didn’t exclaim--and I could tell she didn’t know who I was. 

But she went with me anyway on a drive to the clinic to get her blood drawn. She chatted pleasantly along the way. She only asked twice where we were going and why.

On the way home I asked if she knew who I was.

“Not really,” she said.

I needed to know once and for all if she remembered me, if not by sight at least by name.

“I’m Ruthie. Does that ring a bell?”

“I know it should mean something,” she said with a little chuckle.

“But it doesn’t?”

“Not really.”

So, it’s final.

Now I know for sure I’ve been erased from her memory banks. It’s been a long time coming and I’ve been preparing myself, even fooling myself into thinking she DID still remember when it was pretty obvious that it was “not really.”

So it feels … okay. Expected. Sad.

When I got home I look at the photos of painted lady butterflies I’d taken recently trying to determine why they came to mind when I saw my mother.

They butterflies were still beautiful, but tattered and torn, with chunks missing from wing tips. They’d done a lot of living, these butterflies, and it showed. Like someone else I know.

If a tree falls...

___
"If you're always battling against getting older, you're always going to be unhappy, because it's going to happen anyhow." ~ Mitch Albom



Comments

Tere said…
This has got to be so hard. I can tell by your words how it hurts, even when you know it's coming. My heart is with you.
The Bug said…
Although the subject is sad your words are compelling. Sad, inevitable, glorious...
Ruth L.~ said…
Tere, you're right,knowing it's coming isn't a real defense...but it spreads out the pain.

Thanks, Bug.
Unknown said…
This is touching Ruth. Yes, it spreads out the pain. The comparison to the worn but still beautiful butterflies hit home especially for me. Both my Mom and now my husband are fighting this battle. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Your words are brave and help others.

Pat
Ruth L.~ said…
I think of you often, Pat, and wonder how things are going in your life. It's tough to lose loved ones in any manner abruptly or gradually by degree. I imagine it's particularly tough losing a husband this way. But we don't get to choose, do we? Please keep in touch.
wilmasanders said…
Ruth, beautifully written, you have found the words that we cannot when faced with this sad day. Thanks for writing and for including me. It is phrased so perfectly. And one day will that be us?
Unknown said…
The oddity of life is that it is both cruel and beautiful, something that is implied in this story.

I suppose the best we can do is seize upon the beauty, focus on it, love it, in spite of the pain of cruelty.

And here I see beauty, not in what is happening to your mother, but in the love you express in your actions. Love is perfect beauty, after all.
Michael said…
Ruth

Your post is so poignant ... my Mother passed away on July 24 at the age of 99. She was relatively healthy and living independently up until a month before she died and I am so grateful for the life she lived. I am lucky to have had her for so long but she is missed nonetheless ... my best wishes to you and to your Mom.

Popular posts from this blog

One Winter Day in February!

It’s just a week that I have here, doing "farm duty" for friends while they are in Maui avoiding the February weather. Yay them! And yay me too! This is a week of respite...less than half an hour from home and hubby—and cats. I can enjoy the best of both worlds. My “chores” for the week: ·       Gather the chicken eggs (my favorite part!!) ·       Feed the chickens and ducks and give them fresh water (It bothers me that they have to stay in their coop while family is away. Makes sense, but I feel bad. Otherwise, this would be a favorite). ·       Feed three feral cats (my other favorite thing!) ·       Feed four alpacas and give them water (this is becoming a favorite...) Once done, that leaves plenty of time to...           To WHAT, exactly? What DO you do with the free time you’ve always dreamed of having...besides wasting it wondering what you’ll do with all that free time? On day 1, I a

San Antonio and Boston~

I'm in Austin. Two days after Christmas we flew to Texas for another of Worcester State's basketball tournaments. Bruce's motto is, "I didn't miss any of David's games in high school-- and he played three sports-- why start now?" My motto is, "I didn't make all of his games in high school-- nor did I try. The least I can do is go to the ones that require traveling to a place I've never been." David spends his days with the team. When they are not playing or practicing, the coaches take the kids out to see the sights. We have plenty of free time to see the sights and to relax, which is what I'm after, basketball aside. Today we headed 80 miles south to San Antonio and sauntered along the River Walk-- the much corralled and exploited, but nicely so, San Antonio River-- in sun and sixty plus temps. We visited the Alamo, and absorbed a bit of Texas's interesting history and culture. Beautiful! Eye candy! Never ashamed to lug a camera

Lesson from a Weed~

If dandelions could talk, here’s what I think they might say:  " Bloom where you’re planted, sink your roots deep. Smile in the sun, soak up the rain, and let the wind take you to new places." Dandelions are an early spring food for bees. They are often the first flower a young child picks for his mother and they provide a sweet moment for a mother to teach her child to make a wish and blow away the seeds. They speckle landscapes with lemon-colored glory. Common, and often disliked by those in favor of perfect lawns, we trample over them with hardly a thought. All this crossed my mind as I stood in this field of dandelions, most having gone to seed. I had an hour to myself at a retreat at a beautiful family farm on this day of unexpected sunshine and warmth. I was looking for a moment of stillness.   I’d watched two swans,   visited the alpacas,   chatted with the chickens, tried to coax a kitty closer...